Using a Moving Company for the First Time
Moving can be a complicated process – most of us associate this task with hours of packing, heavy lifting, and expensive truck rentals. If you have made the decision to employ professional movers, let us be the first to congratulate you on saving yourself time, money, and stress. Before the big day, it’s important to know what to expect. Here are the top things you need to know before using a moving company for the first time.
How to Find a Moving Company
The first step of the process is to choose your movers. When using a moving company for the first time, you’ll need to be vigilant about conducting your own research. With a little effort, you can find reliable movers who will handle your belongings with care.
To find the right moving company, follow these steps.
- Make a list of the services you’ll need. Do you want to handle packing yourself, or would you rather leave it to the experts? Knowing your requirements will help you to find the right fit.
- Seek recommendations from friends and family. If your coworker, best friend, or sibling has recently moved, ask them what they thought of their moving company. Referrals are associated with better outcomes and higher customer satisfaction.
- Read the reviews. You can get a good idea of a moving company’s quality by reading reviews on social media, Google, and the moving company’s site.
- Find their credentials. Services like Fox Moving and Storage are well documented online. When you’re using a moving company for the first time, you’ll need to be sure that the service has a number from USDOT (the United States Department of Transportation) and an MC number (authority to operate).
- Get several quotes. Moving companies can provide you with price estimates for your local or long-distance move. Be sure to call around for several quotes to get the best idea of what your move should cost. A good rule of thumb is to go with the lowest realistic quote; be skeptical of companies offering to move your home for much less than the competition. They may skimp on manpower, licenses, or scheduling.
How Far in Advance Should You Schedule Movers?
Moving companies vary in the lead time they require for each appointment. While some movers book months in advance, others have flexibility for last-minute needs. The latter are referred to as short notice movers.
While it’s always best to try to reserve your spot ahead of time, Fox Moving and Storage Charlotte is able to accommodate moving needs with as little as one hour’s notice!
How to Prepare for Movers
Before using a moving company for the first time, it’s important to prepare accordingly. Taking the time to clear out your space and organize your belongings is an excellent way to avoid confusion on the big day. Here are some key tips for things to do before your move.
Declutter and Donate
Before your movers arrive, be sure to clear out any items that won’t be coming along to your new home. Instead of explaining to the crew that they should leave certain boxes alone, go ahead and take these to your nearest donation center a week or two in advance.
Separate the Things You’d Like to Transport
Some people want to transport family heirlooms and valuables themselves, especially for long-distance moves. Separate your jewelry, fragile items, or other important pieces and pack them. Store them in another area and clearly mark that they will not be going in the truck – or go ahead and drive them over yourself before moving day.
Have a Plan for Pets and Children
Moving can be a quick process, but it’s also easy for pets and small children to get underfoot. Ensure that your younger and four-legged household members are able to stay with a friend, family member, or trusted professional during the move. You can also keep them entertained in a quiet, separate room of the house.
Your Charlotte Moving Company
The team at Fox Moving and Storage Charlotte are excellent partners for your move. We understand that moving can be complex – if it’s your first time using a moving company, we’re happy to walk you through each stage of the process. Contact us for a complimentary consultation.